Drop cherry cookies are a pretty and delicious addition to Children's Day celebrations. Read to know the recipe of how to make drop cherry cookies.
Drop Cherry Cookies
Children's Day is celebrated all across India on the 14th of November on the birthday of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, independent India's first Prime Minister. The occasion is marked with immense fun and frolic throughout the country. Various cultural programs and events are organized on this day to keep the children entertained and occupied. Different luxurious and luscious foods are also made on this special national festival. Drop cherry cookies are a great addition to this festive food. Pretty and delicious to look at, the cherries add a burst of flavor to these cookies. Find the instructions of preparing drop cherry cookies by browsing through the lines herein.
How To Make Drop Cherry Cookies
- 1½ cups Flour
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 2/3 cup Shortening
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup seedless Raisins
- ½ cup Lemon Peel (diced)
- ¼ tsp Orange Peel (grated)
- 5 tsp Milk
- 1½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Vanilla Essence
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Candied Cherries (for decorating)
- Combine shortening, sugar and vanilla essence together in a large mixing bowl. Beat well to cream the contents.
- Add egg and beat well till the mixture gets light and fluffy.
- Pour in milk and stir.
- Sieve together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture. Beat well to blend.
- Add raisins, orange peel and lemon peel. Mix well.
- Drop tablespoons of the batter onto cookie sheets.
- Decorate the cookies with candied cookies.
- Bake the cookies at 375 degrees F for about 10 to 12 minutes till they are lightly browned.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) salted Butter (softened)
- ½ cup granulated Sugar
- ¼ cup packed Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Cinnamon (ground)
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg (ground)
- 1½ cups Walnuts (chopped)
- 1½ cups Maraschino Cherries (chopped)
- 1 1/3 cup Raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine together flour, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk the ingredients and set aside.
- Mix butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar in a separate bowl. Beat well using an electric mixer on medium-high speed for about 30 seconds.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Beat well after each addition.
- Add in vanilla extract and flour mixture. Mix well.
- Finally, stir in walnuts, cherries and raisins.
- Drop tablespoons of the mixture onto cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for around 16 to 18 minutes till they are lightly browned.
- Remove and transfer the cookies to wire racks. Cool them completely.