Tomato rasam is one of the popular recipes of South India. Learn how to make thakkali (tomato) rasam recipe, with the article.
Onasadya (traditional Onam feast) is prominent in the celebrations of Onam, the harvest and state festival of Kerala. It is famous world-wide, because a number of items (preferably vegetarian) are served in the delicious feast. While Sambhar makes a prominent side dish, served with rice, Rasam is another item that is inevitable from the menu. Typically a South Indian dish, Rasam is known for its health benefits, lip-smacking taste and enticing aroma. It is beneficial to the health because of its digestive qualities. In the following lines, we have given an easy recipe of Tomat/ Thakkali Rasam, to let you know how to make it.
Tomato Rasam Recipe
- 3-4 tbsp Red Gram Daal
- 4 large Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Paste
- 1-inch piece of Ginger, finely chopped
- 21/2 cups Water
- 1tsp Garlic, grated
- 1 or 2 Green Chilies, finely chopped
- Coriander Leaves, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- chili or pepper powder, to taste.
- 1/2tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1-2 whole dried Red Chili, halved
- A pinch Asafetida
- Few Curry Leaves
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Pick, wash and pressure cook the daal and keep side.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, dried chili and asafetida.
- When mustard seeds start to splutter add garlic, ginger, tomatoes and green chilies.
- Add salt, chili & turmeric powder and a cup of water.
- Simmer for 5-6 minutes and add the cooked daal and 11/2 cup of water and bring to boil.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.
Comment On This Article