One of the hit recipes of north India, Peda can
be prepared very easily. Learn how to make Peda, with the recipe given
in the article.
Diwali brings along with itself immense joy and
celebrations. It is a day to burst crackers, decorate the home with
bandawars and diyas and feast with all the near and dear ones. People in
different parts of the country make different kinds of sweet dishes on
festive occasions out of which Kheer, Jalebi, Sheera, Ladoo and Peda are
the most common sweets. Peda, a scrumptious white khoya recipe is
generally loved by everybody. It is not even very difficult to make. So
if you want to try some sweet recipe, you can try the Peda recipe given
- 1/2 kg. Soft white khoya
- 2 1/2 cups (approx.300gms) sugar powdered
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom powder
- 1 tsp. cardamom seeds semi crushed
- 1 tbsp. slivered or crushed pistachios
- Grate khoya with a steel (not iron) grater.Add powdered sugar and
- Put mixture in a large heavy or nonstick pan. Heat first on high
for few minutes.The on slow till done.
- Make sure to stir continuously, while on heat. When mixture thick
and gooey, add cardamom.
- Mix well, and take off fire. Allow to cool, gently turning
- Use cookie moulds, or shape pedas with palms into patty rounds.
- Mix pistachios and cardamom seeds and press a bit on top of each.
- If using moulds, first sprinkle some at bottom. Take some mixture
and press into mould. When set well, invert and carefully, unmould.
Given above is the basic recipe. Any color (yellow, orange, green,
cochineal), essence (pineapple, orange, pista, chocolate), topping
(almonds, walnuts, cashews), can be added to the recipe. You can also
add any of following for varied flavors: cashew powder 1/2 cup, cocoa 2
tbsp (then increase sugar by 1/2 cup), walnuts powdered 1/2 cup, etc.