Mishti Doi is a sweet and scrumptious Bengali recipe. Explore here how to prepare delicious Mishti Doi.
Mishti Doi is one of the most popular Bengali recipes. Made of full cream milk and sugar, it is a delight for those who are born with a sweet tooth. Generally used as a dessert, this is a scrumptious recipe which requires a little patience as it takes a time of 8-12 hours for being ready to be served. It is a completely healthy dairy product without any preservative and added color, so it a beneficial item for every body except for those who are the diabetic. As it is prepared in an earthen pot, the aroma of the recipe is very soothing and fresh. As Doi (Curd) is also considered auspicious in Hindu religion, it is also prepared on festive occasions and celebrations like Durga Puja and Diwali. If you also want to make this wonderful dessert, the recipe is given below.
Mishti Doi Recipe
- 2¼ liters Milk (buffalo milk, with full fat)
- 500 gm Sugar
- 25 gm Yogurt (dahi)
- Earthen Pot (handi)
- Small Container/ Deep Bowl (with 1.5 kg capacity)
- Add 300gms of sugar to the milk and put to boil on Medium heat for at least 45mins and beat the milk constantly while boiling.
- See that the milk is reduced to almost 40 % and becomes thick and light brown in color.
- Place the remaining 200gms of sugar in heavy bottom vessel with 50ml of water and melt on low heat
- Allow the sugar mixture to turn dark brown in color.
- Gradually add this sugar mixture to the boiled milk and boil again for 15 minutes.
- Take it off the flame and beat constantly with a jar till the mixture becomes lukewarm.
- Transfer the mixture into the earthen pot.
- Mix the Yogurt into the mixture after 5 min.
- Cover and allow setting for 8 to 12 hours at a warm place, do not open or move the pot during this period.
- Uncover and store in a refrigerator.
- Serve chilled.
Comment On This Article