Tarapori Patio is an awesome Parsi pickle recipe. Explore the article to know how to make Tarapori Patio.
Jamshed Navroz marks the start of the Zoroastrian New Year. It is celebrated on the first day of the first month of the Fasli calendar which falls on March 21st according to the Gregorian calendar. 21st March is also the Vernal Equinox and the first day of spring. Hence, with this festival, the Zoroastrians celebrate the transition from winter to summer. In fact the term Navroz also stands for 'new day' as 'nav' means 'new' and 'roz' means 'day'. People observe this festival with great gusto and fervor. Various customs are followed to celebrate the occasion traditionally. This includes preparation of luxurious and delectable delicacies. Tarapori Patio is one of them. It is a curried pickle prepared with dry Bombay duck. This patio is eaten with different preparations. Browse through the following lines to know the recipe of making Tarapori Patio.
How To Make Tarapori Patio
- 50 dried Bombay Ducks
- ¼ cup Sugarcane Vinegar
- 25 Kashmiri Chilies
- 3 pods Garlic
- 4 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tbsp Black Peppercorns
- 1 cup Vinegar
- 300 g Jaggery
- Salt (to taste)
- 2-3 cups Oil
- Carefully remove the heads and tails of the Bombay ducks.
- Cut each duck into 3 pieces.
- Remove the stomach contents and clean the cavity thoroughly.
- Soak the duck pieces in water for about half an hour.
- Wash the pieces well and keep them aside.
- Combine Kashmiri chilies, garlic, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and black peppercorns together in a food processor.
- Grind the contents to a fine powder.
- Add sugarcane vinegar and process to make a smooth paste.
- Take a large vessel with a large mouth.
- Pour in oil and heat it.
- Add the ground masala and sauté.
- Add jaggery and vinegar. Mix well.
- When the gravy starts to boil, add the Bombay duck pieces. Cook on low flame till the duck pieces get soft.
- Add salt to taste and stir well.
- Preserve the patio for future use.
- You can use it as a pickle with dal or vegetables.