Sali Ma Marghi is a delectable and inviting preparation. Explore the article to know the recipe of how to make chicken with potato straws.
Sali Ma Marghi
Jamshed Navroz is marked on the first day of the first month of the Shehenshai calendar to commemorate the Parsi New Year. Named after the Persian ruler Jamshed, this festival is celebrated by the people following the Zoroastrian religion. One can sense joy and excitement in all homes during this occasion just like all other New Year festivals. People get busy with cleaning their homes days before the festival and decorate them artistically. They exchange greetings and serve traditional Parsi food to their family and guests. Chicken is one of the most popular dishes prepared on this day. Sali ma marghi is one of them. It is an inviting and delectable preparation that cannot be left out from the festive menu. Learn how to make Sali ma marghi by glancing through the lines that follow.
How To Make Sali Ma Marghi
- 450 g fine Potato Straws (Sali)
- 2 Chickens (each cut into legs and breasts)
- 1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 3 large Onions (finely chopped)
- 4 large Tomatoes (skinned, deseeded, finely chopped)
- 4 Green Chilies (deseeded and finely chopped)
- ½ cup fresh Coriander (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- 3 Green Cardamoms (crushed)
- 1 tsp Poppy Seeds (roasted and ground)
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 2 Star Anise
- Salt (to taste)
- ¾ cup Peanut Refined Oil
- Wash the chicken breasts and legs thoroughly.
- Cut each piece into 2 to get 16 pieces in total.
- Wash the pieces once again.
- Marinate the pieces with ginger-garlic paste and salt. Set aside.
- Combine onions and peanut oil in a strong, thick bottomed vessel.
- Stir fry the onions on medium flame. Cook till the onions turn soft.
- Add bay leaves and star anise.
- Continue to cook till the onions turn golden.
- Add green chilies, tomatoes and cardamoms. Cook on low flame until the tomatoes have softened.
- Add chili powder and garam masala. Cook for another 4 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and poppy seeds. Stir well and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water and cover the vessel.
- Simmer for 20 minutes till the chicken turns tender.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving plate and serve hot with chopped coriander and potato straws.