Bhang is a prime ingredient of thandai, which is
prepared on Holi. Check out the easy recipe of Bhang, given in the
Holi is the festival for spreading good cheer and
enjoying to the fullest. People smear colors over their loved ones,
playfully. Enticing delicacies, including sweets, thandai and snacks are
prepared to satisfy the taste buds, after playing a frivolous Holi. It
is said that the festival refreshes the body and the soul, because it is
all about letting your hair down and banishing all your drudgeries of
everyday life. One of the ways to add to the playful element of Holi is
to consume thandai made of bhang. In fact, it is a tradition followed
since ages, to drink bhang on Holi. Given below is the easy recipe for
- 1½ liters Water
- 1½ cups Sugar
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Almonds
- 1 tbsp Watermelon Seeds, peeled
- 1/2 tbsp Khus-khus (poppy seeds)
- 1/2 tbsp Saunf (aniseed)
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder (or 15 whole pods)
- 1/2 tsp Rose Water (optional)
- 1 tsp Peppercorns, whole
- 1/4 cup Rose Petals, dried or fresh (gulkand variety)
- Soak sugar in 1/2 liter of the water used.
- Wash clean all other dry ingredients.
- Soak in 2 cups of remaining water.
- Allow all soaked items to stand for at least 2 hours.
- Grind all soaked ingredients to a very fine paste.
- Mix remaining water to the paste.
- Place a strong muslin strainer over a large deep vessel and press
through muslin with back of hands to extract the liquid into the
- Add milk, sugar and rosewater to the extracted liquid.
- Chill for a hour or two before serving.
Comment On This Article