Pindi Chana is one of the favorite side dishes of Punjab. Learn how to make Pindi Chana by exploring the recipe given in the article.
The traditional North Indian cuisine is renowned for
its unique preparation, taste, aroma and the myriad variations that are
brought about to the receipes. People living in the northern parts of
the country are known for their inclination towards lavish feasts
comprising of spicy, lip-smacking dishes. Pindi chana, native to the
northern parts of India, is one such dish, which is full of 'firing'
spice. Typically prepared by using aromatic spices, pindi chana (a dish
of chick peas) allures one with its aroma. If garnished attractively, it
would surely grab the attention of your guests. The wonderful dish that
can very well fit into the menu meant for the lunch on Baisakhi. As a
side dish, pindi chana can go well with puri, chapatti and bhature. Read
on to explore how to make pindi chana.
Pindi Chana Recipe
- 1 cup Chickpeas (Chole)
- 1 Tea Bag or 1 tbsp Black Tea Leaves tied in a cheesecloth
- 21/2-inch Ginger, 3/4th of it shredded finely for garnish
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 2 tsp Garlic, finely crushed
- 2 Green Chilies, sliced
- 3 medium sized Tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 11/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Red Chili Powder or as per taste
- SALT to taste
- tsp Garam Masala
- Finely chopped Coriander Leaves
- Soak Chole in water overnight or for about 6 hr.
- Cook the chole with salt and enough water in the cooker for about
20 minutes or till fully done. Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking
- Finely chop the remaining ginger. Heat oil and sauté
onions till golden, then add garlic and chopped ginger and green
chilies. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, coriander, cumin, turmeric and chili powder and
sauté over low heat until the oil separates.
- Add chole, the reserved cooking liquid, salt and half of the
- Simmer, uncovered until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add a pinch of garam masala and serve chole sprinkled with the
remaining garam masala, coriander leaves and shredded ginger.
- Serve it with hot puri.