Sarkkarai Pongal is one of the delicacies prepared on the occasion of Pongal. Read to know the recipe of this dish.
Pongal is one of the very famous and much-awaited harvest festivals celebrated in South India. To celebrate the festivity of Pongal, traditional recipes are prepared in every household. Sarkkarai Pongal is one of the special dishes for the occasion. It is prepared in an earthen pot, on the second day of Pongal. Sarkkarai Pongal is a very simple and easy-to-make dish, which gives a mouth watering taste. If you want to enjoy it, then just have a look recipe given below, detailing the ingredients as well as the method of preparation.
Sarkkarai Pongal Recipe
- 2 litres Milk
- 10 Almonds
- 1½ cups Newly Harvested Rice
- 1/4 cup Moong dal
- 15 Cashew Nuts
- 1½ cup Jaggery, grated
- 30 Kishmish
- 1/4 level-tsp Nutmeg Powder
- 1/4 tsp Saffron Crushed
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- Chop almonds and cashew nuts and clean kishmish. Pour milk in the earthen pot called 'Pongapani' and place it on fire.
- When the milk starts boiling add rice and dal, after washing. As soon as the rice and dal are cooked to softness, add Jaggery and ghee.
- Let cook on medium fire for some time and then put in almond and cashew nut bits, saffron nutrieg and cardamom powders.
- Finally put in the Kishmis. Bring to one or two good boils