Modak, a favorite sweet of Lord Ganesha, completes the rituals of Ganesh Chaturthi. Read on to explore the recipe of Modak.
Modak is a famous Indian sweet, prepared especially on the occasion of Ganesh Chaturthi. It is known as Lord Ganesha's favorite sweet. Thus, majority of the people consider it a must to make Modak on the very first day of Ganesh Chaturthi. The celebrations are regarded incomplete without Modak, a sweet that is greatly associated to Ganesh Chaturthi. It is a special dish that is offered to the Lord, on his birthday. So, enjoy the festive season by preparing the delicacy. Given below is the recipe of Modak, detailing the required ingredients as well as the method of preparation.
- 3 cups Rice Flour
- 6 cups Water
- 6 tsp Oil
- 4 cups Grated Coconut
- 2 cups Sugar or Powdered Jaggery
- A little Milk
- Bring the water to a boil and add oil into it for the outer covering. Take off heat.
- Now add the rice flour, little by little to avoid lumps and cover the mixture and let it cool.
- When cool, knead it well into dough with a smooth finish in such a way that it should sparkle.
- Now take the coconut and Jaggery / sugar in a heavy-bottomed pan for the stuffing. Add milk. Keep on low flame with stirring. Stir and take off heat.
- The mixture should be fairly dry and turn a shade darker. Now make balls with the (covering) dough.
- Flatten them on the palm or on a surface into a circle. Place the stuffing in it and cover it completely with the dough.
- Fold the edges tapering to the centre. Now steam-cook the modaks in a cooker for 15 minutes until done.
Comment On This Article