Chola Dal is a scrumptious recipe made up of Split Bengal Gram. Explore here how to make Chola Dal in an easy way.
Durga Pooja, a ten-day festival, comprises of a number of rituals that are followed since ages. Apart from worshipping Goddess Durga during the occasion, people celebrate the festival by feasting. They cook a variety of dishes, which they share with their family, friends and acquaintances. Although West Bengal is famous for its sweet dishes including Roshogulla (Rasgulla), Mishti Doi, Patishapta and Sondesh, the cuisine also consists of spicy dishes, which are served primarily with rice (the staple food of Bengalis). Chola dal is one such dish prepared with split Bengal gram. In the following lines, we have given the easy recipe of Chola Dal.
Chola Dal Recipe
- 1 cup Split Bengal Gram
- 1/4 cup Turmeric Powder
- 2 Dry Red Chilies
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2 Green Chilies
- 3 tsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Fresh Coconut, grated
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
- Soak the split Bengal gram in water for one hour.
- Cook the dal in a pressure cooker, with cloves, cinnamon sticks, turmeric powder, sugar, cardamom powder and salt.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the red chilies, chopped green chilies and ginger.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the seasonings to the boiled dal and mix well.
- Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coconut and serve hot with rice.