Bandhakopir Dalna is actually the Bengali Cabbage Curry. Explore here the recipe of scrumptious Bandhakopir Dalna.
On the festive occasion of Durga Puja, the busy streets of West Bengal are occupied by people, who are in the mood of merrymaking and praising Ma Durga, the deity of power. People, who have not observed a fast during the festival, would take immense pleasure in making lip smacking recipes and share them with their loved ones. Bengalis are best known for their sweet tooth. This is the reason why most of the spicy Bengali recipes have a tinge of sweetness in them. One such recipe is 'Bandhakopir Dalna', popularly referred to as 'bengali cabbage curry'. As the name suggests, Bandhakopir Dalna is prepared by keeping cabbage as the chief ingredient. Given below is the easy recipe of Bandhakopir Dalna.
Bandhakopir Dalna Recipe
- 1 lb Cabbage, sliced finely
- 2 Potatoes, cut in small cubes
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Turmeric
- 1 1/4 to 2 tsp Green Chili Paste
- 1 tbsp ground Cumin
- 1 tsp ground Coriander
- 1 inch Ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Fry cubed potatoes in hot oil in a wok, until lightly browned. Remove the potatoes from oil and keep aside.
- To the hot oil, add cabbage. Sprinkle with salt.
- Stir the cabbage well and then and cover with a lid. Cook the cabbage over simmer for about 3-4 minutes, with the cover removed.
- Add turmeric powder, chili paste, cumin, coriander and ginger to the cabbage. Stir and fry until the spices are well blended with the cabbage.
- The cabbage should be nearly cooked at this stage.
- Add 1/2 cup water, the potatoes, fold in salt and sugar to taste.
- Simmer over medium heat until potatoes are cooked and there is practically no gravy in the pan.
- In a frying pan, heat butter. Add the bay leaves and garam masala. Stir fry a couple of minutes and pour over bandhakopir dalna.
- Stir the cabbage and remove from heat.