Peda is one of the popular sweets of North India, prepared on Janmashtami. Explore this recipe and know how to make Peda.
Janmashtami is celebrated with religious observance by Hindus all over India. Special puja is conducted on the day, to commemorate the birth of Lord Krishna. Though the rituals of Janmashtami followed are almost the same, people have different perception in different regions, when it comes to food. For instance, Vella seedai is a must for Janmashtami in many parts of south India, especially Tamil Nadu, while people in Kerala relish on Neyyappam and Paal Payasam. On The other hand, Peda is a hot favorite in northern parts of India. Easy to make recipe, Peda is the specialty of Mathura. Though people relish on the shop-bought Peda, there are households wherein the sweet is especially prepared for the festival. If you want to try out your skill in the culinary art, you may make delicious Peda on your own, by following the simple recipe given in the article.
- 1/2 kg soft White Khoya
- 2-1/2 cups (approx.300gms) Sugar, powdered
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 tsp Cardamom Seeds, semi crushed
- 1 tbsp Slivered or crushed Pistachios
- Grate khoya with a steel (not iron) grater. Add powdered sugar and mix well.
- Put mixture in a large heavy or nonstick pan.
- Heat the mixture on high flame for the first few minutes, and then blend it on simmer, until it is cooked.
- Make sure to stir continuously, while on heat.
- When the mixture is thick and gooey, add cardamom.
- Mix well, and take off the fire.
- Allow the mixture to cool, while gently stirring occasionally.
- Use cookie moulds, or shape the pedas with your palm into patty rounds.
- Mix pistachios and cardamom seeds and press a bit on top of each.
- If using moulds, first sprinkle some at bottom.
- Take some mixture and press into mould.
- When set well, invert and carefully, unmould.
- Any food color (yellow, orange or green), or edible essence (pineapple, orange, pista, chocolate), topping (almonds, walnuts, cashews), can be added to Peda.
- To the basic recipe of Peda, you may add cashew powder 1/2 cup, cocoa 2 tbsp.(then increase sugar by 1/2 cup), walnuts powdered 1/2 cup, etc., when the mixture is half cooked.
Comment On This Article