Tibetan potato curry (xiangzhai) is a traditional food for Tibetan New Year. Explore the article to know the recipe of how to make Xiangzhai.
Tibetan Potato Curry
Losar is one of the major festivals of the Tibetan Buddhists. The word Losar has been derived from two Tibetan words, 'lo' meaning 'new' and 'sar' meaning 'year'. This rich and colorful festival is celebrated across two weeks, with the first three days being the most significant. The celebrations are marked with high spirits and merry making. People dress up in their best new clothes and attend religious services in the monasteries all across Nepal. Feasting also forms one of the major sources for mingling with friends, relatives and loved ones. Tibetan potato curry, known as xiangzhai in Tibetan language, is one of the traditional delicacies prepared on Losar. This dish is consumed on the evening of the first day of Losar. Read on to find the recipe of making Tibetan potato curry.
How To Make Xiangzhai
- 6 cups Potatoes
- ½ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 large Onion (coarsely chopped)
- 3 tbsp Ginger (minced)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (peeled and minced)
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1½ tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 2 Tomatoes (coarsely chopped)
- 1-2 dried whole Hot Peppers
- Water (as needed)
- Cook the potatoes in water until tender, but not completely cooked.
- Drain the potatoes and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium heat.
- Add fenugreek seeds and sauté until light brown.
- Add onion and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic. Sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add cloves, coriander, cumin, curry powder and turmeric. Stir well and cook till the spices release their flavors.
- Add tomatoes, hot peppers and water, as required. Mix well.
- Simmer the gravy for about 30 minutes till the flavors blend together.
- Add potatoes and stir well.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook till the potatoes are done.
- 2 lb Potatoes (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 cup Tomatoes (chopped)
- ½ cup Green Onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup Bell Pepper (sliced)
- ½ cup White Onion (finely chopped)
- 4 tsp Oil
- ½ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- ½ tsp Ginger (minced)
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin Powder
- 2 cloves Garlic (crushed)
- Salt (to taste)
- Place a large wok or skillet on fire and heat oil.
- Add fenugreek seeds and sauté over medium flame till they turn dark brown.
- Add garlic and white onion. Mix well and cook till they are lightly browned.
- Add tomatoes, soy sauce, ginger, turmeric powder, cumin powder and salt. Stir well.
- Cover the skillet and cook for about 3 minutes on low flame.
- Add potatoes and 1 cup water. Stir and continue cooking for 10 minutes till the potatoes turn tender.
- Add bell pepper and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the preparation from heat and sprinkle green onion.
- Serve hot with rice or bread.