Kapse fritters are fried bread served with different savories on Losar. Explore the article to know the recipe of how to make kapse fritters.
Losar is the Tibetan New Year celebrated by the Buddhist community in Tibet. The literal meaning of Losar is ‘new year’, as ‘lo’ means ‘new’ and ‘sar’ means ‘year’ in Tibetan language. This festival is observed by all Tibetans residing across the world. The festival is a 15-day long celebration with the first three days being the most important. Marked with great zeal and gusto, people get busy with preparing for the festival days in advance. It is a time to cheer, greet, pray and seek blessings. Numerous delicacies are also made to commemorate the Tibetan New Year. To accompany the savories, mouth-watering and luscious kapse fritters are made. They are fried breads made in different shapes and forms. Continue reading to learn how to make kapse fritters.
How To Make Kapse Fritters
- ½ cup Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 4 ounces (1 stick) Butter (melted)
- 1 tsp Lemon Rind (grated)
- ½ cup Milk (warmed)
- Red Food Coloring (few drops)
- 3½ cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Flour (for dusting)
- Fat/ Oil (for frying)
- Powdered sugar (for garnishing)
- Honey (for garnishing)
- Take a large mixing bowl and combine together sugar, eggs, butter, lemon rind, milk and red food coloring.
- Blend the ingredients with an electric mixer at slow speed.
- Sift flour and baking powder together in a separate bowl.
- Add the flour to the egg mixture and beat well on slow speed to form stiff dough.
- Transfer the dough to a table and knead with floured hands.
- Shape the dough into small, flat balls or other elaborate shapes, as per your choice.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Deep-fry the fritters till they turn golden brown.
- Remove and transfer to a serving platter.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar and drizzle honey on the fritters.
- 3 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 3 cups White Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 cups Nonfat Milk
- 4 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1½ quarts (3 pints) Oil (for deep frying)
- Combine together wheat flour, white flour and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together milk and brown sugar in another bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the milk to the flour and mix to form dough.
- Knead well to get stiff dough. This dough should be stiffer than bread dough.
- Divide the dough into ½ cup size pieces.
- Roll each piece into ball and roll it out flat.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet.
- Fry one bread piece at a time till it turns light brown on both sides.
- Serve hot kapse either plain or with yogurt, honey or curry.
Comment On This Article