Read about tips for turkey carving, how to carve
turkey and steps of carving turkeys.
Tips for Turkey Carving
With the arrival of Thanksgiving, turkeys become the center of attraction. Every family is busy in preparing the best of turkey dishes. Though every individual has his own distinct style of turkey preparation, there are certain typical styles for carving the turkey. In this article, we bring you some easy and simple tips for carving the turkey. For instance, you should allow the roasted turkey, wrapped in aluminum foil, to cool for about 20 minutes or more (depending on the size of the turkey) before carving. This shall help in making its meat more tender and tasty. Also, this facilitates easy carving of the turkey. You must also use a very sharp knife to carve a turkey. To explore more tips that will make turkey carving easier for you, read on.
How To Carve Turkey
- First, remove the legs of the turkey, by slicing down between the leg and the body. Though the joint connecting the leg to body can be snapped off easily, you might have to cut through it, if it gets stuck.
- Cut through the joint between the thigh and lower portion of the leg of the turkey, called the drumstick, to separate them. You may leave the thigh and the drumstick as it is, or carve them too.
- To carve the thigh, keep it pinned to the work surface, using the meat fork and use the knife to carve even slices, by slicing parallel to the bone.
- Hold the drumstick on its end and carve the slices up to the bone.
- To remove the wing, pull it away from the body, while cutting first into the hollow area between the wing and the breast, to expose the wing joint and then through it, to release it from the body.
- You may want to cut the drummette or the portion of the wing nearest to the body, at the elbow joint. The flat middle section can be used as one piece.
- To carve the breast meat, first cut horizontally from the wing joint to ribs as far as possible. Then, cut the breast meat vertically, to make even slices.
- Two breast halves may be cut out as whole and then carved into even slices, by placing them on a cutting board.
- Clean the slices properly with cold running water, before making mouth-watering dishes with them.
Comment On This Article