Puli Pongal is a traditional Tamil recipe, made with broken raw rice and tamarind. Read this recipe and know how to make Puli Sadam.
Pongal is a very important harvest festival of South India. It is celebrated over a period of four days, with a variety of foods being prepared throughout. Puli Pongal is one dish that you will love to have on the festival days. It lets you to enjoy the festivity of Pongal. The dish is very simple and easy to make and requires ingredients that are easily available within the home only. So, if you want to relish the taste of Puli Pongal, just have a look at recipe given below, listing the ingredients as well as the method of preparation.
Puli Pongal Recipe
- 1 cup raw Rice
- 1 cup Green Gram
- A lemon-sized ball of Tamarind
- 2 tsp Peanuts
- 3 tbsp Sesame Oil
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ¼ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Black Gram
- 1 Red Chili
- 2 cups Water
- A pinch of Asafetida Powder
- A few Curry Leaves
- Salt (to taste)
- To begin with, mix together raw rice and green gram, and fry them for around five minutes or until they change color.
- Take the mixture off the stove and upon cooling, grind it. However, do not make it into a smooth paste. Let it rest for some time.
- Meanwhile, immerse tamarind in two cups of water and leave it aside.
- Take a pressure pan and heat some oil in it. Once sufficiently hot, add mustard seeds to it.
- Once the mustard seeds begin to splutter, put black gram, red chili, peanuts, asafetida powder and curry leaves into the oil. Stir fry until the ingredients turn golden brown.
- Add rice mixture, tamarind juice, turmeric powder and salt. Mix them well, though not with a heavy hand.
- Secure the lid on the pressure cooker and cook for around 20 minutes, while stirring the mixture at regular intervals.
- Finally, add curry leaves for garnishing and serve piping hot with raita.
Comment On This Article