Coconut rice is a specialty of Tamil Nadu, essentially made on Pongal. Read the recipe given below to know how to make coconut rice.
The word pongal, in both Telugu and Tamil, signifies the boiling over of the rice, in the cooking pot. Thus, the dished made on the harvest festival of Pongal essentially include rice in the ingredients. Coconut Rice is also one of the recipes specially cooked on the festival day. Along with rice, its other main ingredient comprises of coconut. Coconut rice is very easy to make and requires little preparation time. Below, we are giving you the recipe of coconut rice, which you can try on the festival of Pongal.
Coconut Rice Recipe
- 2 cup Basmati Rice
- 1 Coconut, grated
- 1 tsp Channa Dal
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- Green or Red Chillies
- Salt to taste
- Wash and clean the rice thoroughly
- Boil it in ¼ litre of water till done
- Heat the Ghee in a separate shallow pan
- Add mustard seeds, channa dal, Urad dal and chillies to it
- Fry lightly till it emits fragrance
- Mix well with cooked rice for flavor
- Add salt to taste
- Garnish with grated coconut and mix well
- Serve hot.
Comment On This Article