Passover is a festive occasion that is synonymous with feasting over delicacies. Read on to find some vegetarian (veg) recipes for Pesach.
Vegetarian Passover Recipes
Passover is a Jewish religious festival that is celebrated to honor the freedom of Jews from their enslavement by the Egyptian Pharaoh. The festival extends to over a week and is marked with festivities, joy and conviviality. The festivities are accompanied with feasting over gourmet Passover meals, when all the members of the family get together and enjoy the feast in each otherís company. Traditional foods are cooked in the Jewish households, as the festival of Passover is commemorative of the longstanding traditions and rituals of the Jews. Below given are some vegetarian (veg) recipes for Pesach. Try them and enjoy the festive occasion with your family!
Vegetarian Recipes for Passover
- 1 Eggplant
- 3 Eggs (beaten)
- 1 Onion (grated)
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 1½ cup Matzo Meal
- 2 cups Tomatoes (canned)
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- ½ Lemon (juice)
- Peel and cut the eggplant into cubes of 2-inches. Cook them in simmering salted water for 20 minutes or till the eggplant is tender.
- Drain the eggplant, transfer in a large bowl and mash.
- Mix in beaten eggs, onion, salt, pepper and matzo meal.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, until hot.
- Form cutlets using the eggplant batter and fry them in hot oil, on both sides.
- Transfer the cutlets to a baking dish.
- Mix tomatoes, sugar and lemon in a separate bowl.
- Pour the mixture on the top of the cutlets.
- Bake at a temperature of 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- 6 Matzos
- 2 cups Water (boiling)
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 1 clove Garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp Parsley (freshly chopped)
- 4-5 Eggs
- Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
- Pour boiling water over the matzos. Drain immediately and squeeze the excess water from the matzos. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet over low heat. Sauté onion and garlic until golden.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add in parsley, salt and pepper.
- Add matzo and sautéed onions to the egg mixture and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan and drop approximately 1/4 cup of egg-matzo batter on the pan.
- Cook matzah brei pancake on a medium heat, on one side, and then on the other, by turning over.
- Serve with strawberry jam.
Note: In case you are preparing Matzo Brei in a hurry, you can make the dish without using onion and garlic, thereby saving your time.
Comment On This Article