Celebrate Lohri with the richness of dry fruits by gorging on some yummy gajak. Go through the article to learn the recipe of sesame candy.
Lohri is an auspicious occasion, celebrated in the state of Punjab that is also called as the breadbasket state of India. It marks the end of winter and is associated with the harvesting of winter crops. It also celebrates the birth of babies and the arrival of newly wed bride to the family. Sweets are an added attraction to the festive mood of Lohri. They are a must eat during this period. Few of them are ganne ki kheer, atta ladoo, coconut chikki and pinnie. Gajak is another famous Lohri sweet. Prepared with different dry fruits, it is rich in almonds, peanuts, walnuts and cashew nuts. The essence of kewra makes this dessert all the more inviting. Enjoy this delicacy by following a simple recipe.
Recipe For Gajak
- 10 Almonds
- 10 Cashew Nuts
- 20-25 Peanuts
- ½ cup Walnuts, shelled
- ¼ cup White Melon Seeds (kharbuje ki giri), shelled
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 6 Green Cardamoms (Elaichi)
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- ¼ Drop of Kewra Essence (Alternative: Vanilla Essence)
- Khoya/ Mewa (dough made from cooking milk for hours)
- Place a large cooking pan on fire and pour in the sugar.
- Melt it and add in lemon juice, khoya, white melon seeds, kewra essence.
- Blend the mixture to a dropping consistency.
- Add the ghee and cardamoms to the mixture and stir gently.
- Add the almonds, cashew nuts, peanuts and walnuts and mix until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat and pour the preparation into a tray and flatten it.
- When the mixture is still warm, cut into pieces and allow it to cool completely.
Comment On This Article