Ambakalia is a scrumptious delight that should not be left out during Gahambars. Explore to know the recipe of how to make mango sauce.
Gahambar is a Zoroastrian festival that is celebrated six times in a year to honor the different seasons. Considered to be the most sacred and auspicious among all Zoroastrian festivals, each of the six Gahambars resembles the six elements of creation of the earth, namely, sky, water, earth, plants, cattle and man. The Parsis commemorate the occasion as a reinforcement of the feelings of brotherhood, reminding the Parsis about the good deeds that each Parsi must perform during his lifetime. To add on, people engage in religious ceremonies, prayers and offerings, and preparing traditional food. Ambakalia is a tangy dish prepared from raw or green mangoes. Flavorful and spicy, this marinade is a perfect add on to your festive food. Know the recipe of how to make ambakalia by going through the lines that follow.
How To Make Mango Sauce
- 10 small Green Mangoes
- 1 cup Jaggery
- ½ cup White Onion (finely chopped)
- 6 Cloves
- 1 tsp Cinnamon (ground)
- 3 cups Water
- Peel the green mangoes.
- Cut the mangoes in half lengthwise.
- Remove the tender seeds and discard them.
- Pour water in a medium saucepan and heat it on medium-high flame.
- Add jaggery, white onion, cloves and cinnamon to the water.
- Cook the mixture till the jaggery has melted and onion turned soft.
- Reduce the flame to low and add the cut mangoes.
- Cook the mangoes on low heat, till you achieve a syrupy consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the mixture from heat and cool it completely.
- Serve thereafter.
- 1 kg Ambakalia Mangoes or 1 tin Alphonso Slices
- 1 kg Onion (sliced)
- 1 inch piece Cinnamon
- 4-6 Cloves
- 4-6 Green Cardamoms
- 100 g Jaggery
- 2 Green Chilies (seeded and chopped)
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves (chopped)
- ½ tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- Heat ghee in a large saucepan.
- Add onions, cinnamon, cloves and green cardamoms. Sauté till the onions turn brown.
- Add jaggery, green chilies, coriander leaves, salt and mango slices. Mix well ensuring that the mango slices do not break.
- Pour in ½ cup water. Simmer the mixture for 4 to 5 minutes till the ingredients have blended well.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Comment On This Article