Kheer is one of the most popular sweet dishes prepared in India, especially on Diwali. With the recipe, know how to make kheer.
Diwali is a festival of crackers, lights and sweets. Every Indian home is flooded with sweet dishes on the occasion of Diwali. Thousand varieties of sweet dishes are prepared by the many families residing in the country. However, out of them, the one dish that remains special for every one is the traditional ‘kheer’. Made up of rice, milk and various kinds of dry fruits, kheer is one of the most popular Indian desserts. Extremely luscious in taste, it is very easy to make. Through people in different regions of the country make kheer in varied ways, the most popular and common recipe of the sweet dish has been given below. Read on and know how to make kheer.
- 1/4th cup Long grain Rice (washed and drained)
- 4-5 cups Milk
- 2-3 Cardamom Seeds (crushed)
- 2 tbsp. Almonds (blanched silvered)
- A pinch of Saffron Threads, soaked in a little hot milk
- 1 tbsp Pistachio Nuts (skinned & chopped)
- 1 tbsp Raisins (optional)
- 2-3tbsp Sugar
- Put the rice, milk and cardamom in a pan, bring to boil and simmer gently until the rice is soft and the grains are starting to break up.
- Add almonds, pistachio, saffron and raisins and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the sugar and stir until completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and serve either warm or chilled.
Comment On This Article