Jalebi is a melt-in-the-mouth snack item that
can satisfy the taste buds of your loved ones, on Diwali. Get an easy
recipe for Jalebi, in the article.
Diwali is incomplete without sweet and scrumptious
dishes. One of the most delicious of them is the sugar dipped, beautiful
and orange Jalebis. In a country like India where umpteen varieties of
sweets are available, Jalebi is a universal favorite. Not only on Holi,
Diwali or any festive occasions, Jalebi is something which is included
in the regular diet of all the people born with a sweet tooth. The
unique shape and the lip smacking taste are the reasons why Jalebi is
prepared on every festive occasion in the country. Jalebi tastes the
best if served hot or along with curd. Though preparing Jalebi is not a
very tiring phenomenon, it requires a little time and patience. Here is
how you can prepare this mouthwatering dish.
- 2 cups All purpose flour (maida)
- 11/2 tbsp. fine grained semolina or rice flour
- 1/4th tsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp curd (plain yogurt)
- 11/4th cups warm water
- 1/2 tsp. saffron threads, slowly dry-roasted and powdered
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 2/3rd cups water
- 1/2 tsp green cardamom seeds powder
- 11/2 tbsp. kewra water or rose water
- Ghee or vegetable oil for frying
- Mix the flour, semolina or rice flour, baking powder, curd and
3/4th cup of the water in a bowl (preferably a ceramic bowl). Mix
well with a whisk.
- Mix well and then add remaining water and 1/8th tsp. of saffron
powder, and whisk until smooth.
- Set aside for about 2 hours to ferment.
- Whisk thoroughly before use.
- Prepare string syrup by dissolving sugar in the water. Just
before the syrup is ready add saffron and cardamom powder.
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Pour the batter in a steady stream (or
coconut shell with a hole) into the kadhai to form coils. Make a few
at a time.
- Deep fry them until they are golden and crisp all over but not
- Remove from the kadhai and drain on kitchen paper and immerse in
- Leave for at least 4-5 minutes so that they soak the syrup.
- Take them out of syrup and serve hot.