Handmade or homemade Christmas stockings are quite
popular. Know how to make Christmas stocking.
Christmas Handmade Stocking
The festival of Christmas is all about exchange of gifts, feasting and commemorating the birth of Lord Jesus Christ. All through the holidays, people would be busy in the preparation of the festival, which includes decoration of home, premises and the Christmas tree, cooking and scrub-cleaning the house. On Christmas Eve, attractively wrapped gifts are placed under the Christmas tree. Kids would attach their stockings to the mantelpiece, and eagerly await St. Nicholas (or Santa Claus, as per the popular belief) to fill their stockings with Christmas gifts. Generally, stockings are purchased from market, as lot of variety is available. However, if you want to give a personal touch to your stockings, then make them at home. In the article, we have given the instructions for making handmade Christmas stockings.
How To Make Christmas Stocking
- Take an old stocking and mark its outline on a paper. Then mark it on the fabric that you want to use to make your Christmas stocking.
- Cut out the pieces of the cloth and sew them together make sure that you keep the top open. Purchase similar colored threads for the stockings, so that the stitching doesn't stand out in an ugly contrast.
- To give the finishing touch, attach cuffs of fur or velvet after the stocking has been stitched.
- Cut out the required breadth of the cuff in fur or velvet and sew the edges, in order to make it look even. Sew it on top of the stocking and then fold it into half, to cover the seams.
- You can also attach a ribbon by punching two holes on the seams of the folded cuffs and tie a ribbon through those holes.
- Decorate the stocking with glitter and sequins, so that its overall appeal is improved. Make Christmas stockings in different colored fabrics, to present them as gifts, to your near and dear.
- Choose a very soft wool to make your Christmas stockings, because softness of the material would make them look very attractive. You may choose cotton velveteen for making your stockings, since the fabric is very soft to touch and looks pretty.
- You may select a particular theme for your Christmas stocking, in case you want to make it look unique. Some of the popular themes chosen for stockings are Santa Claus, snowflakes, angles, snowman, cartoon characters and reindeer.
- Make use of quilted satin fabric for the cuffs of the stockings. Apart from being convenient to stitch, the fabric would make the stocking even more attractive.
- You may embroider the joints of the stockings, to improve their overall appeal. For embroidering, choose a color that is one or two shades darker than the color chosen for the thread to sew the stocking.
Comment On This Article