Preparing traditional cake for Christmas is one of the customs of the festival. Explore the article and get an easy recipe for Christmas cake.
Christmas Cake Recipe
The holiday season of Christmas is all about feasting and having a lot of fun with loved ones. On the glorious occasion, people indulge in preparing mouthwatering dishes and relishing on them and when it comes to feasting and relishing, what better can you think of than a scrumptious and luscious cake. Though during the feast on the Christmas Eve, varieties of items ranging from the main course meal to umpteen varieties of cocktails and mocktails are available, one can't simply ignore the traditional Christmas cake. Prepared a day or two before the Christmas day, this cake is generally served along with custard or double cream. Though it takes time and efforts for preparation, the taste of the cake is worth it. If you also want to try it, the recipe is given below.
Christmas Cake Recipe
- 12 oz Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice
- A pinch of Salt
- 4 oz Candied Peel
- 4 oz Cherries
- 2 lb Dried fruits
- 4 oz Blanched Almonds
- 4 Eggs
- 4 tbsp Sherry
- 1 Lemon (Finely grated)
- 8 oz Margarine
- 8 oz Sugar,
- 1 tbsp Black treacle
- Sieve together all the dry ingredients.
- Mix the peel, fruit, cherries, chopped almonds and lemon rind.
- Whisk the eggs and sherry together.
- Beat the margarine, sugar and black treacle until soft.
- Add the flour and egg mixtures alternately to the margarine little by little till it has a thick paste consistency.
- Stir in the fruit mixture.
- Put into an 8-9 inch tin, lined with greaseproof paper round the sides and at the bottom.
- Now, tie a double band of brown paper round the outside of the rim, standing well up above the top of it.
- Put in the middle of a hot oven. Bake for 3 1/4-31/2 hours at gas mark 3 for the first 1 1/2 hours, and then decrease to gas mark 2 for the remainder.
- Cool the cake in the tin, then store in an airtight container.
- Can be served hot or cold with custard or double cream respectively
Note - Ensure this cake is made 3 weeks before Christmas.
Comment On This Article